Thursday 21 June 2012

Of cheese and siestas and Englishmen

I've remembered how wonderful the heat and sun of Spain is........and I've also remembered just why the Spanish stop work between 2.30 and 4.30 every day for an extended siesta. I've been infiltrated by the Spanish pace of life and everything is taking twice as long as I expect - from driving on motorways (hellish, with bus stops, cloverleafs and little warning before needing to change across 3 lanes..) to getting moving again after a gorgeous lunch of fresh bread, manchego and olives, sourced from the nearest delicatessen (current record....2 hours)...

I'm having to rethink some of my routing. I desperately want to get down to Andalucia and see Granada, Cordoba, etc, but I'm seriously considering calling that off and simply following in Wellington's footprints through Badajoz, Talavera and Salamanca. Less driving, and more days in each location, and I can still get to 'must reach' destinations to pick up and deposit passengers. Time to spend some guidebook browsing time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment